Press "Enter" to skip to content

Category: Project Janelle

Slow Progress is Still Progress

So much maintenance to catch up since I’ve let this car sit for so long. So many things to finish as well. So let’s start the easy stuff because it’s easy.

Changing oil is easy. Except I had to refill everything through tiny fill holes with a mechanical hand pump. It was slow going. All new fluids are in the car though. Next up, sanity checks with the ECU and making sure that I can cycle everything on and off.

Well, as you can see, the sanity checks went sanely. So I got to tear everything apart and do some electrical work.

Electrical work is totally something I love doing. It goes so quick.

I eventually managed to get new gauges installed into the car. They work like they’re supposed to as well. Continuous power, switched power, illumination, the whole 9.

I’d love to say this list gets smaller, but the more I cross off, the more I find.

Leave a Comment

Time and Problems

The problem with letting a car sitting for years is that rubber belts tend to get old and dry rot. Especially when they break and it costs a lot of money. So I started off with the fancy Jay Racing tools I picked up to make timing jobs easier.

Set the cam gear holder. Check the timing at the crank pulley and…

Realize that you’re 3 teeth off on timing. Thankfully my 2gnt brethren pointed out that I’m garbage at doing timing belts since I’ve had 2 pop now and this one has jumped time. I’m pretty sure that the timing tensioner shifted or failed. Whatever. It’s all getting replaced.

Belt is all gone now.

OEM Mitsu parts. Belt, tensioner, bearings, pulley. The whole 9 yards.

Time to re-assemble.

Pretty much done and decided to call it at this point for the day. It was almost time to start work so I picked up and that was that.

Leave a Comment

The Work Continues

Not a whole lot of picture taking right now while there is work to be done. I’ve ordered some tires to replace the dry rotted ones. I’ve even had time to get them mounted and installed.

I managed to buy the last of the gauges I needed to monitor the motor properly.

They’re even installed and working. Car has a full tank of fuel too!

It’s also developed a fuel leak and seems to be burning a bit of oil under boost. The car has been sitting outside for a few days now while I’ve been cleaning the garage out and trying to get the smell of fuel out of the house. I’ll see about getting under the car to figure out where it’s leaking fuel from. Once I’ve got that under control, I’ll see about driving the car around enough to get the motor hot. Then, I’ll be changing the oil again and going with 10w30. That should probably fix my oil burning issue. We’ll see how this pans out.

Leave a Comment