Today was a decent day. I got a fair amount accomplished, but not quite everything that I wanted to do. I spent several hours on Saturday fixing a laptop. This thing was pretty bad. I’m not sure what happened to it initially, Very slow, lots of lag, very difficult to use. I pulled all user data from the drive and threw it on a flash drive. After everything was backed up, I spent some time and did a full system restore. After everything was restored, I spent some time restoring the user data and then a few hours updating it and re-installing Office.
After the laptop was finished, I headed out to Denham. Once I got to Denham, I spent a few hours fixing the air conditioning in my grandmother’s car. I wasn’t expecting this and it put me behind on my car. There was gas in system, but the a/c clutch never engaged. The low pressure switch checked out ok and so did the pressure switch at the compressor. The a/c relay checked out ok too. There was no power going to the relay to fire the compressor clutch though. After digging through the almost worthless manual for the car, we found a fuse for the a/c system on the inside of the car. After swapping that out we were able to get the compressor to engage. We finished filling up the system and now have cold a/c.
I topped off the coolant in the Talon. I spilled some swapping out the fans in my car two weeks ago. After topping everything off, I charged the a/c in my car as well. I didn’t get to the fan issue though, so only half of them work right now. I’ll probably work on that this week. I also need to swap out the o2 sensor in the car. It intermittently works well and then flakes out.
The last stop of the day was my parent’s house. I chatted with mom and dad for a bit, then started installing the Trail Tech Vapor on my DRZ. First up was installing the temperature sensor. This screws into an existing port in the radiator. Next up was drilling a hole in the brake caliper mounting bracket so that I could mount the new speed sensor. About the time we got this mounted, mom needed me to move my truck so she could go pick up dinner for herself and dad. Dad wanted to move my truck since he hasn’t driven since December and I told him to go for it, handed him my keys and walked off. I think mom thought I was crazy. While dad was moving my Jeep, I went ahead and re-installed the speed sensor. I swapped out one of the rotor bolts with the new magnetic pickup to trigger it. After testing that the speedo works, I need to pull the gas tank off to get to the coil. I wired the Vapor directly to the coil to read RPMs. This was pretty easy once we tested it. This required the removal and installation of the gas tank a few times. The final step was running power for the Vapor to the battery. I did not hook up permanent power yet because I need a small fusible link or fuse holder. Everything is neatly installed and it will be a pretty easy fix to finish installing everything. I just need to swing by a parts store to grab the last piece.