Press "Enter" to skip to content

Month: December 2013

Driven

I took some time today to put some miles on the car. It now has about 40 miles on it since I put everything back together. I still need to put the interior together, but that will need to wait until after I buy new gauges. The ProSports are being very difficult. None of the gauges are working. I have tried and tried to get them to work.

My electrical problem notwithstanding, I drove the car about 25 miles today. It feels solid. I never gave it full throttle. I did run it 60-80% throttle and gave it plenty of time to warm up prior to doing so. DSMLink reports that I make about 220hp and 240ft-lbs of torque at 4800 RPMs. It feels solid. Pulls very well. I’m very happy with how it is running. I’ll be even happier when I finally know how much boost I’m running and have the new fuel pump swapped in.

I love this car again.

Leave a Comment

Towed today

I did the towing though. Trailer connection works like a charm and I had no issues. I only pulled about 2200lbs of trailer and scrap steel down to the scrapyard. Got unloaded, got paid, got new tires mounted for the trailer, fixed a lighting problem, got lunch, cleaned the trailer up and slapped a new permanent registration sticker on it.

Today was a good day.

Leave a Comment

My first welding project and first mod on my Jeep.

I’m going to stick this here. It’s my first attempt at welding something for my Cherokee. Actually, it’s my first attempt at welding anything, ever. I thought this would be something fairly simple to do and would be a decent learning project.

I had a receiver on my XJ when I bought it. It had a weird (2 3/32″) hitch in it. I was never able to pull the hitch out. I wound up just swapping the ball on it. I decided I wanted the ability to remove the receiver hitch because I kept hitting myself in the shin. Parking is tight at my apartment and the ball would stick out over the sidewalk. Getting the receiver off was a giant pain in the ass. I broke four bolts on the passenger side and all three on the driver side. Once the receiver was out, I heated the receiver up with a torch and beat on it to get the hitch out. There was a lot of rust that was falling off. A lot of rust. I can hit the receiver with a 20oz hammer and leave dimples in the steel. I am not sticking this back on the XJ to tow with it.

This is the receiver I pulled off the XJ.

cZDnCXAl

 

So I hit up the local steel yard and bought some stuff.

gcFbQ2ol

Using the receiver I pulled off, I took some measurements and cut some steel and laid it out.

djAa8Qgl

First weld I ever laid down.

YWZ024Al

Second weld looks much better.

mEXHV5sl

I did go back and grind down the bad spot in the first weld and redo it.

ozxrmUDl

Ground both sides down.

CCqyJwUl

Welded a plate over the top for strength.

IMG_20131126_143057

All the way around now.

IMG_20131126_143035

I cut the mounting ears off of the old receiver since they were pretty solid and hadn’t lost their original thickness.

IMG_20131127_103337

I neglected to get photos where I welded the bottom plate on the receiver where the chains will hook and the ears prior to painting it.

2013-11-30

I did everything with some help from my uncle who is a better welder than I using his arc welder. This was done with 7014 rod. I had some fun doing this and hope to do more welding in the future.

I even managed to get it installed today.

1385927733113

 

I know the blues clash, but I’m hoping that a few weeks of road grime will mellow the blue out and make it clash less.

Leave a Comment